This is a quick and easy weeknight dinner, especially if you’ve already got cooked chicken around (for me, it was extra from making pho, but you could also get a rotisserie chicken). I sort of made up my own recipe from a couple different online recipes, but this is the link to the main one I used as a resource.
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken stock (I only needed two cups)
- 2 cups frozen vegetables , (corn, peas and carrots) (I used fresh vegetables that I parboiled before adding to the skillet– I carrot, ½ onion, 1 celery, 4-5 mushrooms).
- 3 oz fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tsp dried parsley
Cheesy Drop Biscuits:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 oz fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Melt butter in a (10-inch) oven safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until chicken is browned, about 2 minutes each side. My chicken was cooked already, so I just put it on long enough to heat up the chicken.
- Add flour and whisk to combine. (I don’t know if I used the whole ¼ cup of flour. I just made sure the chicken all were somewhat coated in flour. Later, after the vegetables were added, I felt the base was too soupy, even after adding only 2, not 3, cups of broth. Therefore, I added a bit more flour then. It’s to your taste.)
- Slowly add chicken stock while whisking skillet. Whisk until well combined. (How she expects you to whisk when there’s chicken in the pot, I have no idea. Just sort of mix as you can.)
- Add in vegetables and cheese. (I also think I reduced the amount of parmesan cheese, just because we’re also using parmesan chicken. You can just add as much cheese as you feel is enough. For me it was a couple of tablespoons.) Stir to combine. Reduce heat to medium. Allow mixture to come to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile: In a large mixing bowl combine flour, cheese, baking powder, sugar and salt. Whisk to combine well. Add butter and milk. Stir to combine.
- Drop biscuits by the rounded tablespoon full on top of pot pie. Place skillet on cookie sheet and then slide into the oven. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until biscuits are golden brown.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley, if you like, serve and enjoy.