I love chicken soup. All out, intense homemade chicken noodle soup. Janky thrown together chicken noodle soup. All of it. So when I stumbled up on this recipe from Bon Appetempt, I wondered– would the lemon really make a difference? HELL TO THE YES. This might be the best chicken noodle soup I’ve ever had.
Roast Lemon Chicken Soup
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 cups chicken stock
- shredded chicken from Roast Lemon Chicken (recipe below)
- Roast preserved lemon, onions, carrots, and pan juices from Roast Lemon Chicken (don’t even think about discarding the pan juices–makes ALL the difference)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- ½ lb. dried wide egg noodles
- Bring stock to a simmer in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Meanwhile, chop carrots and onions into bite-size-ish pieces. Add the shredded chicken, lemons, chopped carrots, chopped onions, and pan juices to the stock. Continue to simmer. Cook egg noodles according to packaging. Drain and add to the soup. Remove from heat. Stir in chopped parsley. Taste, adding more salt and pepper if needed.
NOTE: I did the roast lemon chicken steps the day before, stored the shredded chicken, veggies, and pan juices in the fridge overnight and made the soup the next day– lovely.
Roast Lemon Chicken
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 chicken breasts, bone-in, skin-on (As you can see, I also had four drumsticks on hand so added those to the pan as well.– so did I!)
- 1 preserved lemon, chopped (I’m trying to make preserved lemon for the first time presently, so I used this method–thinly slice fresh lemon and saute slowly in olive oil, sugar, and salt until very tender– and I think it worked well enough– my soup was super lemony!)
- 1 yellow onion, sliced into four or five thick rounds
- 5 or 6 peeled whole carrots
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour a couple of tablespoons of the olive oil on a rimmed baking sheet. Place half the chopped preserved lemon on top of the oil. Place the chicken on top of that and rub the skin with olive oil. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Add the onion slices and carrots to the pan, making sure they’re fairly coated in olive oil as well. Top everything with the rest of the chopped preserved lemon.
- Roast everything for 35 to 40 minutes, or until cooked through. Set aside until cool enough to handle, then remove the meat from the bones and discard the skin. Shred the chicken and set aside until you’re ready to make the soup.