When I first told John I’d be making steaks out of cauliflower, he seemed somewhat unsure. However, we both were blown away by this recipe, from Carla’s Comfort Foods (I loveeeddd Carla when she was on Top Chef.)
- 2 medium, 2 lb cauliflowers
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- kosher salt
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp crushed red chile flakes
- 3 tbsp fresh oregano leaves (I used dried, but I always advocate fresh if you have it. Maybe when my garden is up and kicking again …)
- 2 tbsp capers, rinsed, drained, and chopped
- 2 tbsp pitted Kalamata olives, chopped
- 1 lemon
- Arrange broiler rack 6 inches from heat source. Preheat the boiler. (My oven just has a pull out broiler drawer with a set height, and the same times worked for mine.)
- Remove the leaves from the cauliflowers, then cut each on into ½ inch thick slices from top to bottom, keeping the core intact. You should get 3 “steaks” from each cauliflower and florets from the ends.
- Coat a rimmed baking sheet with 1 tbsp oil (I put aluminum foil on my baking sheet before coating with oil). Arrange the cauliflower florets and steaks in a single layer on the pan. Drizzle with 2 tbsp oil and sprinkle with ½ tsp salt. Broil until tops have browned, about 8 minutes. Then carefully flip the pieces and broil until the other side is browned and the cauliflower is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 3 tbsp oil in a small skillet over low heat. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, shaking the pan. Add the oregano and remove from heat. Stir in the capers and olives. Just before serving, zest the lemon directly over the mixture and stir well. Spoon over the broiled cauliflower and serve immediately.