This recipe, from Carla’s Comfort Food, isn’t as delicious as the street corn at Mission Taco Joint, but I’m working on it . .
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 jalapeño chile, stemmed and minced, with seeds
- kosher salt
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels
- ½ cup chicken stock
- crema or sour cream for serving
- crumbled cotija or feta cheese, for serving
- lime wedges, for serving
- ground Mexican chile, like ancho, for serving
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the jalapeño and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add oregano and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the corn and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Stir in the stock and ½ tsp salt and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the corn is crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Top with crema, cotija, a squirt of lime juice and a sprinkling of chile powder. Serve hot.