Did you know it was brusselS sprouts, not brussel sprouts? You learn something new every day!
My fella has really been in to brussels sprouts lately. This is just one version, from Saveur.
- 12 oz. slab bacon, cut into matchsticks (I did four slices of bacon to about 1 lb of brussels sprouts. I also fried the bacon as slices then made matchsticks after it was cooked.)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 lb. Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat slab bacon and olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until bacon is crisp and fat is rendered, about 15 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain, and pour off all but 2 tbsp. bacon drippings.
- Return skillet to heat and add butter. Add Brussels sprouts and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and caramelized, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve garnished with reserved bacon. I also added a little red pepper flakes, mmmm.