My very kind neighbor gave me all sorts of wonderful produce from her garden as the season was ending. With a huge handful of sage, I knew I wanted to make these shortbread for a Halloween party I was going to, since it’s this freaky mixture of savory and sweet.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh sage leaves or 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch-thick pieces, room temperature
- Blend first 4 ingredients in processor. Add butter; using on/off turns, process until dough comes together. Divide in half. Shape each dough piece into log about 1 ½ inches in diameter. Chill until firm enough to slice, about 30 minutes.
- Position 1 rack in top third and 1 rack in bottom third of oven; preheat to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment. Cut each dough log into 1/3- to ½-inch-thick rounds; place on sheets. Bake 10 minutes. Reverse sheets so bottom sheet is on top rack of oven and top sheet is on bottom rack. Bake until cookies are golden, about 15 minutes longer. Cool on racks.