This was DELISH. So rich and silky. It’s not hard to make, but be wary that it’s pretty time intensive. It’s one of those recipes that you don’t read all the way through, and when you do, you’re like, OH SHIT, because you need like a whole day before you want to bring it to a dinner party etc. Via Smitten Kitchen cookbook.
- 1 ½ cups (130 grams) chocolate-wafer crumbs [I put the cookies into a food processor in order to transform into crumbs]
- 2 tablespoons (25 grams) sugar
- pinch of salt
- 5 tablespoons (70 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- 12 tablespoons (170 grams or 1 ½ sticks)
- 1 cup (200 grams) sugar
- 3 ounces (85 grams) unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled [If you have a microwave, rock on. If you don’t, like me, I melted my chocolate over in a metal bowl placed over a pot of boiling water.]
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (235 ml) heavy or whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Chocolate curls shaved from a bittersweet bar with a peeler (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, stir together cookie crumbs, sugar, and salt.
- Stir in melted butter until evenly dispersed.
- Press crumbs evenly across bottom and up sides of a standard 9-inch pie dish.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes, then let cool completely (the fridge can speed this up) before using.
- In a large stand mixer, whip butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy.
- While mixer is running, drizzle in melted chocolate.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating mixture at medium speed for 5 minutes after each addition, and scraping down the bowl.
- Add vanilla, and blend well.
- Spread chocolate filling in prepared crust, and smooth the top.
- Set pie in the fridge until fully chilled, at least 6 hours.
- Just before serving, beat cream with sugar until it just holds soft peaks. [This takes at least 5-10 minutes so don’t worry if it seems to be taking a while.]
- Spoon onto pie and garnish with bittersweet chocolate shavings, if you’re feeling fancy.