Great weeknight grilling option! Via NYT. I served it over a rice mixture with black beans, peppers, mango, and cheese.
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from canned chipotles [I always chop & freeze leftovers from the can into ice cube molds, then store in a plastic bag.]
- 2 teaspoons light or dark brown sugar
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons unrefined peanut oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 to 2 tablespoons water (more to taste)
- Mix together all of the ingredients. [I marinate the tofu for 15-20 minutes in the marinade before putting it on the grill, to enhance the flavor. Then I grilled the pieces on medium high heat for 2-4 minutes on each side, till grill marks appeared.]
- Brush [remaining marinade] on seared or grilled tofu as soon as it comes off the heat, or onto uncooked slices.