A great on-the-good breakfast option for the beginning of the school year! Via Southern Living.
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 4 thick bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup peeled and diced Granny Smith apple (about 1 small apple)
- ¾ cup (6 oz.) shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup toasted chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Whisk together flour and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl until thoroughly combined. Stir together bacon and next 4 ingredients in a medium bowl. Whisk together eggs, milk, and oil in a small bowl.
2. Add egg mixture to flour mixture, and stir just until dry ingredients are moistened; stir in bacon mixture just until incorporated. Transfer dough to a greased (with shortening) and floured 8 ½- x 4 ½-inch loaf pan.
3. Bake at 350° for 55 minutes to 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, shielding bread with aluminum foil after 40 to 45 minutes to prevent excessive browning. Cool bread in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and cool 30 minutes before slicing.