- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1½ cups)
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 3 plum or Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped (2 cups)
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained, or 1½ cups cooked chickpeas
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- ½ cup ditalini or tubetti
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh basil or parsley, for garnish
1. Heat oil in large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and rosemary sprigs, and sauté 5 to 7 minutes, or until onion has softened.
2. Add garlic, and sauté 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, and season with salt, if desired. Sauté 3 to 5 minutes. Remove rosemary sprigs.
3. Add chickpeas, and slightly mash with fork or potato masher to thicken soup.
4. Add broth, and bring to a boil. Add pasta, and cook 1 minute less than package directions suggest.
5. Season soup with salt, if desired, and pepper. Garnish each serving with 1 tbsp Parmesan and 1 tsp basil.