As a Southerner, this makes my heart sing. Via The Kitchn.
Note: I served this sausage gravy with this biscuit recipe.
Southern Sausage Gravy
[I cut this recipe in half to serve 2 people.]
1 pound bulk pork sausage
¼ cup all-purpose flour
2 cups milk (2% or whole)
Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Warm a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the sausage and break into chunks with a spatula. Cook until the meat is crumbled and browned all the way through.
- Add the flour and cook until dissolved, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the milk. Cook, whisking frequently, until the gravy is very thick and bubbly (you can add more milk later if you need to thin).
- Season generously with salt and lots of freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve with hot biscuits.