As a Louisianian, I’ve shamed my people by never really getting into okra. However, I recently had oven roasted okra at a local restaurant and was HOOKED. Via Eating Bird Food.
- 1 pound okra, rinsed and dried
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ground pepper, to taste
- pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Trim the okra by cutting away the stem ends and the tips, just the very ends. Then cut the okra in half, lengthwise.
- Place okra in a large bowl. Add oil and spices and stir to coat the okra halves.
- Place okra on a baking sheet in a single layer. Roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes, shaking or stirring the okra at least twice during the roasting time. You’ll know the okra is ready when it’s lightly browned and tender.
- Serve hot – they tend to lose the crispy texture as they cool.