A nommy weeknight vegetarian meal! Via Three Many Cooks.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, cut into medium dice
- 1 carrot, cut into medium dice
- 1 large celery stalk, cut into medium dice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, drained
- 1 bunch Tuscan kale, stemmed, rinsed, and chopped into bite-sized pieces [or really whatever kale you have handy]
- 6 cups chicken (or vegetable) broth
- ⅔ cup pearl couscous [optional]
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a Dutch oven or soup kettle. Add onion, carrot, and celery; sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, chili flakes, thyme, and a sprinkling of salt, and pepper; sauté until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add chickpeas and kale; stir to wilt.
- Add stock; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and add couscous [if adding]; simmer, partially covered, until tender, about 10 minutes [minimum]. [I also immersion blended my soup a bit to give it some texture.]
*This would also be delicious with other extras. For example, adding fennel to the mix!