I have some lovely friends who are vegan, so I often try to expand my cooking repertoire to having dinner parties with them. While I could never say they taste *the same* as the non-vegan version, I’ve been impressed with how good they are! These we served with berries and vegan ice cream. Via Spice Up the Curry.
Makes 2-3 waffles
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp oil [I used canola]
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the waffle iron.
- Take dry ingredients (all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, sugar, salt and baking powder) in a bowl. Mix it well using whisk or just shift it.
- Make a well in the middle. add water, oil and vanilla extract.
- Mix it using wire whisk till incorporated. Make sure there are no lumps in the batter.
- Pour the batter in the pre-heated waffle iron. Read your waffle maker’s manual and pour required batter as directed. If your waffle maker needs then grease it with cooking oil spray before pouring the batter. Mine did not require.
- Cook it as per your waffle maker’s direction + few more minutes. Why? Always keep in mind that, waffles made without eggs takes more time to cook then one with eggs. For example, my waffle maker takes 5 minutes for normal waffle. So I usually cook any eggless or vegan waffles for 7 minutes. Eggless waffles always need some more time to crisp up. [I find a useful tip is to watch the steam escaping the waffle maker. Once the steam mostly stops coming out, the waffle is done! But for me, these took a similar length of time suggested by the original recipe.]