- 10 ounces bulk breakfast sausage
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups self-rising flour [Or add 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt for each cup of all-purpose flour]
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, chilled and cut into small cubes
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Brown breakfast sausage over medium heat until cooked through, making sure to crumble as it’s cooking. Once done, transfer sausage to a paper towel-lined plate to drain some of the fat. You don’t want all that fat to weigh down the dough.
- Meanwhile, if you haven’t done so already, shred the cheese.
- Sift flour, sugar, pepper, and salt into a medium-sized bowl. Cut the chilled butter cubes into the dough using your fingers, a fork, or a pastry cutter [or a food processor!] until the butter is about the size of peas.
- Stir in the buttermilk. Once well-stirred, stir in the half-and-half. The dough will resemble cottage cheese more than it does bread dough, but keep the faith, people. Keep the faith!
- Fold in the sausage and cheese, being sure not to over-mix.
- Spoon the batter into greased muffin cups and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden. Transfer to a rack to cool before serving.