While I found the dough in this hard to work with–sort of dry and unresponsive– I think they tasted good overall. But would I make it again…? Via Family Circle.
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 pkg (.25 oz) active dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons warm water (110 degrees to 115 degrees )
- 2 teaspoons plus 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk, white reserved
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- Brown Sugar Glaze (optional)
- Combine buttermilk and 6 tbsp butter in a small saucepan. Heat over medium-low heat until butter melts. Cool to 110 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, sprinkle yeast over 2 tbsp warm water and 1 tsp granulated sugar. Let stand 5 minutes, until foamy.
- When buttermilk/butter mixture reaches 110 degrees F, stir in yeast mixture. In a stand mixer, combine egg, egg yolk, 1/3 cup granulated sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon, and the salt. Beat on medium speed until blended. Beat in yeast mixture, followed by flour. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead 5 minutes, adding more flour inf the dough is very sticky.
- Oil a large bowl and add dough, turning to coat with oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled, 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Punch down dough and divide into thirds. In a medium bowl, mix 6 tbsp butter, 1/3 cup granulated sugar, 3 tsp cinnamon, 1 tbsp warm water and the brown sugar until smooth.
- Cut one piece of dough in half. With your hands, roll into a long rope. Lay on work surface and, with a rolling pin, roll out to an 18 x 4-inch rectangle. Spread with 2 tbsp filling and sprinkle with cinnamon. Cut in half crosswise to create two 9 x 4-inch pieces. Starting from a long side, roll up to enclose filling and pinch seam shut. With a sharp knife, cut through dough lengthwise, leaving one end attached. Twist dough over itself to resemble a braid, pinching end together. Roll dough on itself and tuck end under. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet, spacing two inches apart. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Brush buns with egg white and sprinkle with 1 tsp granulated sugar. Bake 18-20 minutes until golden brown. Brush with Brown Sugar Glaze, if using.
Brown Sugar Glaze
- Combine 1/4 cup each packed dark brown sugar and granulated sugar in a saucepan with 3 tbsp water and 1 tbsp unsalted butter.
- Heat over medium until glaze is smooth. Brush over buns.