Be still my heart. Via Serious Eats.
- 2 pounds ripe mangoes, peeled and diced, 4 1/2 to 5 cups
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lime juice, more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, more or less to taste
- Pack diced mangoes in blender with water and blend on high speed until very smooth, about 30 seconds. Pour through a fine-mesh strainer into a large measuring cup, pushing purée through strainer with a spoon, until you have 3 cups of purée. Reserve remainder for another use.
- Transfer strained purée into a large bowl and whisk in sugar until well dissolved. Whisk in lime juice and salt in small increments, adding more to taste.
- Chill purée in refrigerator until very cold, 2 to 3 hours. Churn in ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions (probably 15-20 minutes), then transfer to airtight container and chill in freezer at least 4 hours before serving. [Or impatiently eat IMMEDIATELY.]